Monday, November 8, 2010

My road to 42.195 -- Part 1. The starting line

I'm now standing at the starting line, to finish my very first marathon, the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2010. There is only one month to go. I never dreamed to be a runner eight months ago, nor even a marathoner.

I was 36 then, the longest run was 1,500m run done in the unversity 14 years ago. And I never run over that in my life. I used to be a 4x100m sprinter at school. I was a kind of casual runner relied on my talent only, never took serious training. I liked to finish the run in a short period. I could not bear the bitterness of long time to reach the finish line.

I received my biennial medical report early this year. Again, the colesterol was above the normal level, like last time. I hate my life style, like a machine, eworking, eating and sleeping. I used to manage to swim 2~3 times a week after last check, but finally gave up because the venue is not convenient. This time I felt a change were mandated. So a couple of days later, when one of my collegue called me to join the JP Morgan Corporate challenge (5.6km). I signed up without hesitation.

5k is the 1st step for all runners as later I knew. I put it as my target and decided to training for it in a month (the race date is May 6). Following Sunday (Mar. 28) morning I started my first long run in Pasir Ris Park. It was a hard begining (I expected, and that is why I always rejected to take long run), I felt exhausted only after half way, and wanted to give up the rest of run. The good new was I finished the 5k run in a hour without a break of walk. But when I was about to finish I was almost about to fell down. Anyway it was a good begining.

I was running idiot at that time and only repeated the training on weekends. For the following 3 weeks, I run the same route, ended up with same head dizziness and feet fatigue. That was not enjoyable. Until oneday I found a book for beginer runners, 跑步重點指導, wrote by a Japanese veteran runner Yamaji. Following the instruction, I began to run regularly and train seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment