Saturday, February 25, 2012

Singapore Duathlon 2012 (National Championship)

Last week I finished Sprint Aquathlon, today I'll try Standard Distance Duathlon, Singapore Duathlon 2012.
The race is held by TAS. My wave started at10am, I'v planned to complete in 3hrs: 55min for Run10km, 1hr35min for Bike36.6km, and 25min for Run5km, and 5min for T1 and T2. So my finish time would be around 1pm, and I would bike and run last 5km in hot sun between 11am to 1pm, OMG. I prayed for a cool weather but it turned out to be the opposite.

I rode my bike to the venue, because it was just 11km away. I actually rode 14km due to lost in Upper Changi Road. (My back route is much shorter via Siglap PCN) I reached to the point (East Coat Park) at 9:30am, 30min to start. I set up transition and wanted to deposit my bag, but the official told me it not available. So I dropped on my transition area, I should not bring hand phone and wallet with me.

Like other tri-race, each wave started punctually. My wave started 10:00am sharp. The sun was not hot then and it turned out to be a nice run. I'v kept my planned pace steadily throughout the leg. Barefoot run in ECP morning was cool, the road surface was much better than Pasir Ris Park. I had no problem finish it in a time of 56:26 (official timing was 57:45), only problem was the HR hit 173bpm, 15bpm higher than planned, perhaps due to hot weather and I had rode 14km before the race.


After first leg the weather became hot, guess 30deg+. I could easily maintain a 24kph speed in the first half. As I rode on MTB, most biker could easily smoke and lap me. Due to aero deficient, I would always slow down in the out part on East Park Service Road, the wind was quite impressive. One accident I encountered at the beginning of 2nd loop, I hit on the barricade but I surprisingly get back to the race without pause. My bike was intact and I just got minor scratches on my left arm. A good lesson for my first bike race. I turned very carefully and never had problem later. Must admit, I was lucky not get hurt badly, the route was rather not newbie friendly. I was getting slower at last 2 laps, average speed <23kph. The leg was finished in 1:33:12 (official timing was 1:33:26). My average HR was still higher than planned, scored 169bpm. I was surprised to see that I maintain a HR170bpm for 2.5hrs, I guess my max HR might be higher than expected.
Hitting the barricade resulted in bruise in left arm


Before last leg I already exhausted, the temperature rose to 33deg and sun burned. When I entered to the run out zone, one official stopped me saying that barefoot were not allowed. I explained but rule was rule. I headed back and put on my bike shoes. Fortunately because I did not own a racing bike, I didn't have bike shoes either. My bike shoes were just a pair of old fashioned running shoe that worth only S$4. I used them for barefoot running transition.


This rule did not kill me but other people were not so lucky. I found on the route one barefoot runner (I met in the fisrt 10km run, he did barefoot that time) struggling walking in the hot run with his metal clipped bike shoes. It was such a torture and discrimination to barefooters. I don't see there was any advantage if a athlete choose to run barefoot! I wish TAS could change the rule next time.
With the tough weather and my depleted legs, I could only finished the 5km run in 30:40 (official timing was 30:36), 5min longer than planned. My heart rate surprisingly averaged 184bpm and hit highest to 195bpm. Does it mean I could run like a 24 year old young man? I wish it be true.

With transition time, I score 3hrs9min23sec (official timing was 3:10:31, rank 90/156) in total time. That was a medium score in my age group, according to last years record. Most people biking faster than me but killed by last 5km's death march.
9min slower, I just attribute it to the tough weather. I'm satisfied with the results. And felt grateful to my old MTB, it score 23.3kph in the race, and it only worth S$168. It did not give up after the hit, and nor punctured all the way. I'll continue to use it in my training. And should ride it in my first Standard Distance Triathlon this July.

As for the race, the organize was rather good. But I still like to recommend organizer to provide bag deposit. Not all people own a car, less privileged people could also play triathlon. Ice water in the fuel station was cool, also could consider provide sports drink because the day was hot. Last, allow barefoot run in the race, it would hurt nobody.
BTW, the medal was nice, worth collecting.

2 comments:

  1. I actually rode an MTB as well yesterday, but on slicks. Just parked beside you (1191:) Good to hear you were ok after hitting the barricade, I almost missed the turn as well going into the 2nd cycling loop. I do agree to allow more flexibility on the rules regarding barefoot running on multi-discipline events as this is becoming more mainstream recently.

    Like you, I targeted 3 hours but finished way way off. I am glad I was not alone in being surprised with the very high HR. I averaged 175 on the 10k run and hit as high as 188. Although I finished the run in a modest 1h4min and rode the cycling leg in 1h26min, the 2nd run killed me. I almost had to walk the whole 5km had I not rested for 5 minutes under the shade of a coconut tree beside the first water point. Finished the final leg in 47 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro! Nice to hear from my neighbor : ) We had so much in common. I'v been confused about my racing HR since I wore HRM in races. I just heard it not good to stay in high HR zone longer, like no more than 8min in Max HR, no more than 1h in HR Zone5. But yesterday's recor high...

      Delete